As November draws to an end, Seattleites can count on local farmers markets to provide a variety of unique seasonal products, and even some special events and promotions. This weekend, University District Farmers Market (UDFM) is open Saturday from 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (open year-round), West Seattle Farmers Market (WSFM) is open Sunday from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (also year-round), and Broadway Farmers Market (BFM) is open Sunday from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (through December 23). The Columbia City, Phinney, Magnolia and Lake City farmers markets are all closed for the season. The Seattle Farmers Market Association (SFMA) also offers markets in Ballard, Madrona, and Wallingford. The Ballard Farmers Market is open year-round on Sundays from 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. The Madrona and Wallingford farmers markets are both closed for the season.
Upcoming events and promotions include:
- December 8: Wreath Making at U District Farmers Market from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Each year, the Seattle Parks Dept. donates piles of evergreen branches and clippings from the Cedar River Watershed for a wreath-making event. The event is free and open to the public! Wire, tools, boughs, ribbons, and ornaments are all provided. University District businesses are supplying the decorations and free hot cider will be provided!
- Fresh Bucks Bonus Program– extended through December 31, 2012
- The Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance, the Not Yet Foundation, and the West Seattle Senior Center have come together to strengthen seniors’ access to local and healthy food, and to encourage seniors to participate in the weekly community building at their year- round neighborhood farmers markets.
- Senior Fresh Bucks are being distributed directly to low income seniors through the West Seattle Senior Center’s programs, including their food bank and nutrition programs, in $20 increments during November and December. Seniors aged 60 and older who currently receive EBT/SNAP (food stamps) benefits, or who meet the criteria of low income as determined by the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (185% of federal poverty level), can claim their Senior Fresh Bucks once per month at the West Seattle Senior Center and redeem them at the West Seattle, Broadway or University District Farmers Markets.
Some of the seasonal products include:
- Gingerbread from Tall Grass Bakery (UDFM)
- Spiced quince cranberry ginger beer by Rachel’s Ginger Beer (UDFM and BFM)
- Holiday ham from Skagit River Ranch and Olsen Farms (all FMs)
- Holiday stolen from Preston Hill Bakery (UDFM)
- Seasonal truffles from Trevani Truffles (UDFM)
- In season in December:
- Holiday wreathes, apples, pears, plums, pluots, lettuces, greens, fresh herbs, Brussels Sprouts, Jerusalem artichokes, beets, broccoli, Romanesco Broccoli, beans (dried: Cannolini, Black Turtle, Peas), Carrots, Garlic: Elephant and Spanish Roja, kohlrabi, shallots, scallion, Turnips, Rutabagas, Parsnips, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Fava Beans, Winter Squash (Kobocha, Golden Nugget, Carnival, Acorn, Kuri), Pumpkin Squash (Fairy Tale, Sugar Pie, French Rouge), potatoes, Chantrelles. Also available: pickles, preserves, jams, fruit syrups, chutneys, chocolates, pastries, breads, pork, cheeses, beef, poultry, goat, eggs, salmon, shellfish, fresh pasta, dried fruits and vegetables, ciders and hard ciders.
About The Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance: The Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance is a 501c3 non-profit organization committed to supporting and strengthening Washington’s small family farm businesses by creating and operating vibrant, successful neighborhood farmers markets. The NFMA organizes seven food and farm-focused farmers markets in Seattle: University District, West Seattle, Broadway, Columbia City, Phinney, Lake City and Magnolia. NFMA is a member of the Washington State Farmers Market Association and national Farmers Market Coalition and has been a leader in ensuring equal access to local, healthy food by promoting EBT at its markets since 1995. Learn more at: http://www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org, visit us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Seattle Farmers Market Association (SFMA) also offers markets in Ballard, Madrona, and Wallingford. With a variety of local produce and foods, the SFMA markets mission is to support and strengthen Washington’s small farms and farming families, as well as the communities they serve.
The Not Yet Foundation shares the NFMA’s passion for preserving our local farmland as well as building healthy communities and has a special interest in supporting senior services.
The West Seattle Senior Center is located at 4217 SW Oregon St., and will be distributing Senior Fresh Bucks, while supplies last, from 1pm-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Looking for a holiday tree, gift, or the makings for a spectacular holiday meal? Seattle farmers markets are a great resource for all of your holiday essentials. Be sure to visit the University District and West Seattle markets, which are open all year (on Saturdays and Sundays, respectively), or the Broadway market, which will be open on Sunday, Dec. 30th for its last day of the regular season.
For holiday trees and wreaths, Three Tree Farm has a great selection of Noble and Blue Spruce trees and will be at the U-District Market for one more weekend. Beautiful holiday wreaths are also available at all three markets.
For holiday gifts, the farmers markets offer…
• Gift certificates • Re-usable canvas shopping bags, market T-shirts, market aprons and sweatshirts • Jams and preserves • Dried fruits, mushrooms and peppers • Honey • Packaged nuts • Handcrafted chocolates • Roasts, chops, steaks – beef, pork, lamb and goat • Turkey and chickens (roasters, stewers) • Wild salmon • Fresh oysters • Local wines and hard ciders • Holiday breads and pies
HOURS & LOCATIONS: The University District Farmers Market will be open on Saturday, December 26 and Saturday, January 2 with regular hours; 9 am – 2 pm.
The West Seattle Farmers Market will be open Sunday, December 27 and Sunday, January 3 with regular hours; 10 am – 2 pm.
The Broadway Sunday Farmers Market’s LAST DAY for the season is this Sunday, December 20. Hours are 11 am – 3 pm.