The City of Seattle’s Office of Economic Development, a local government office committed to creating a vibrant economy in the City of Seattle, seeks a part or full-time communications intern. This position requires a minimum six-month commitment, 20-40 hours a week (schedule is negotiable), starting in December 2009.
The ideal candidate will have strong reading comprehension, writing skills, and organizational/research skills, as well as being self motivated and independent. Applicants should also be familiar with writing blogs, newsletters, and using basic HTML. The Office of Economic Development (OED) will provide a $400-$800 a month stipend, and, if deserved, provide a letter of recommendation upon completion of the internship. Students interested in economics or communications are encouraged to apply.
Detailed job responsibilities include:
– Compile and format daily news blast featuring City of Seattle, industry and partner news (OED’s Daily Digest)
– Compose daily blog entries for a public audience about the business community in Seattle
– Collect news posted in blog and other sources
– Compose and post monthly newsletter online
– Increase the number of newsletter contacts
– Establish and maintain positive relationships with contacts
– Continually update and develop OED website
– Edit on as-needed basis and communicate with staff about changes
– Work on long term projects
– Perpetuation of the internship program
– Responsible for carrying through the next internship hiring process
SUPPORTING THE OFFICE
– Develop OED materials, including press releases, collateral flyers, and PowerPoint presentations
– Research projects on economic and communications topics
– Promote OED/partner events
– Keep office organized and presentable
– Maintain firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest and a resume with three work- or volunteer-related references to email@example.com (attention: Karin Zaugg Black) by December 3, 2009.